Bayliss Public Library

Library History

In 1905, Sault Ste. Marie opened their first Library, Carnegie Public Library, which was built with grant money from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. It was located on Armory Place, where the original building is now occupied by the Intermediate School District offices. In 1940, an addition was added to the library. By 1975, the library outgrew the Carnegie building and a new library was built with money bequeathed by Joseph and Estelle Bayliss. The Carnegie Library closed its doors on February 21, 1975 and Bayliss Public Library opened on February 28, 1975 at its present location on the corner of Court and Dawson Streets. A that time, the street in front of the library, know locally as the Peck Street Extension, was renamed Library Drive.